So I’ve finished the Rape Rick at last.
By the by, in case you were curious as to why I drew this, please read this post here.
The reason it took so long is that I sort of lost interest half way through making it and it stalled for ages.
Partly because of that app project which started eating into my evening hours as it wound up to a close. (Which I ought to post about at some point but I’m scared that people might find my blog via it. Is that paranoid? Can people do that? I don’t know but I’m nervous.)
I was discussing this with A4, who is simultaneously doing a PhD, a jewelry class, house-hold DIY and also plans to open a chaddie (underwear) business.
I said she needs to focus more.
So do I. I also need better time management. I spend too much time faffing around instead of knuckling down and just finishing a project. I have 4/5 other projects and drawings that are half-finished. I need to make a list and tackle them one by one, and not start anything new until they are done and dusted. (Mighty last words!)
I had a wretched time painting the Rape rick. The first coat of yellow came out too wishy-washy.
Then I coloured in the black lines and promptly smudged it accidentally. So I had to paint the white again and add another coat of yellow.
So I did a second coat. Then I thought it might be too flat so I added some orange.
Then I wanted a gradient so I added more orange on the 4th coat. (I know, madness)
Then I started painting all the leaves and flowers, until on review I decided it was now far too orange so I spent the better part of 2 evenings fixing the orange back to the yellow.
Then I needed to re-paint all the flowers and leaves. Argh!
However I think the chrome yellow is a marked improvement. It had to be done.
Then I scanned it all in, and then finally stuck on the sequins. I love these sequins. The glitter didn’t work on the heavily painted yellow acrylic but I had bought the rhinestones you get to stick to bling up mobile phones and those worked really well. I’m dying to glitter something else up.
You can’t tell from the scan, but the flowers also have gold glitter on them. The text is also coloured in with a red glitter pen, and the thick black lines with a black glitter pen. The glitter pens are quite subtle. When you move you see it glinting.
I also bought a Gouache set recently, in a fit of New Years stationary madness, that I’m now beginning to slightly regret.
I keep putting my hand on the paper before the paint has dried. Or dropping water on it.
Or even ash if I’m smoking and painting.
Even my ear phones are now covered in yellow and orange since I’ve been watching TV on my laptop while I paint and the wires tend to drag over my palette.
So I don’t know why I bought the Gouache set. (Gouache will move if you add water. Acrylics once dry, set solid.) All that will happen is that I’ll make an unholy mess all over the place. At least acrylics don’t shift once they’re dry.
God painting is so hard. I have no idea what I’m doing.